How other do it
I just read the article Find PDF Manuals for your Electronics using Amazon on www.labnol.org and www.lifehacker.com already mentioned that too with reference to labnol.org. It’s a great way of finding manuals, but with my first search for “Canon EOS 30D” came up empty…
I came to think about when I used to work as a tech support guy at a faroese company now called Nema and often had to quickly find manuals for products which needed repair or setup. I used to use retrevo.com – a website/-service – that seems to have just about any manual for the product you search for. And in this case it found three results with my query.
How I do it
To make things easier by finding manuals for your specific product – whether it may be electronics or not – try the following search query in one of these search engines:
General Search Query: “PRODUCT NAME INSIDE HERE” manual site:retrevo.com/support
Replace “PRODUCT NAME INSIDE HERE” with your product name. No need for using apostrophes(“) if the product name only contains one word.
Example search query: “Canon EOS 30D” manual site:retrevo.com/support
Step by step tutorial
- Navigate in your browser to your preferred search provider. Note: I use google.com as an example here.
- Copy and Paste or Type in this string: “Canon EOS 30D” manual site:retrevo.com/support and hit the search button.
- If you had no luck (no result). Try another search engine. If still no results appear; it might be a speeling error OR retrevo doesn’t have a manual for the product you searched for. If you found more than 0 results go to step 4.
- Click on the item that seems to be the “correct” one. Note: For example Google provides you with ads in the top (sometimes), and you should avoid clicking on these links/ads, because they look alot like the “real” google results!
- On the retrevo.com website you should scroll down or do a quick search-in-page for your product. After you have located it click on “Download the Document” or the red download icon.
- Scroll down to where it says “Type the numbers shown below:”. Type in the numbers and click on the red “DOWNLOAD NOW” button.
- You are now downloading the manual for your product!
Picture by picture
Step 4 (finished)
Thanks to Amit Agarwal, the owner of labnol.org for providing a good tip on how to search for PDF manuals.